Thursday, April 29, 2010

The story of Abu Abdurrahman Hatim

There is a story told by Abu Nu'aim Al - Hilyat Isfahani in his book al-Awliya '
about a mystic figure named Abu Hatim Abd Al-Asham.
He dubbed the Deaf (al-asham), presumably because he never pretended to be deaf for the sake of a woman who embarrassed the wind out loud in front of him. he learning from Syaqiq Hatim al-Balkhi who is also a major figure in the world of Sufism.

One day the teacher Syaqiq asked "How long have you been learning from me?", "Thirty years" said Hatim,
"During that time, what have you learned from me?" Ask Syaqiq
"just eight things" said Hatim.
"I was wasted with you, during these only eight things you learn" Syaqiq said with a huff.
"Master teacher, I did not get anything than that and I do not want to lie" said Hatim.
"Explain the eight that I wanted to hear" ask the teacher

This is the answer

First, I see everyone has lover, they wanted with their lover until die. whereas they dead, they comes to the tomb, they separated with their lover, then I choose righteousness as my girlfriend, because she accompanied me when I entered the tomb, also accompanied me in the face of the divine call later .

"Hatim's very true, then what's the second?"

Second, I noticed the word of Allah, "the man who was afraid the greatness of God and resist the soul desires, heaven residence. God is true, I choose heaven I struggled to control my soul desires.

"You right, what's the third?"

Third, each person has wealth. He appreciate, assess, and maintain wealth. I leave my wealth to Allah, that preserved in Allah side.

"Very good, Hatim what the fourth?"

Fourth, I see that everyone has value after. Wealth, power, glory and descendants. Everything is worthless to me. I just noticed that the word of God "that noblest among you is the most pious"
I want to be the most noble person, so I choose righteousness.

"Very good, Yaa Hatim what fifth ?"

Fifth, I noticed people stabbing each other, curse each other, all because of envy. Allah says, "We are giving away their livelihood in the life of this world.
"I leave spiteful, I stay away from dissension among the people.

"You are right, What's the sixth?"

Sixth, All men have enemies they fight.
According to the word of Allah "the real an enemy to you is devil , make him the enemy," I will make the devil my enemy, I remove my enmity with other creatures.

"Also true, What's the seventh?"

Seventh, I saw people scrambling money, sometimes there are people who humiliate him, entered a not kosher.
I just noticed that the word of Allah "there is nothing crawling on this earth but their rezki on God."
I was one crawling on the earth. I do my duty to God, I did not pay attention to what the obligation of God to me

The last one, closely linked with the seventh. Everyone relies on creatures to find sustenance.
Allah said "Who relies on God, God will supply sustenance" I rely on God alone.

"Yaa Hatim, may Allah always guide you. I think, the entire contents of the law, psalms, gospel and the Quran can be concluded in the eighth "said Syaqiq"

In another story narrated that once upon a time Hatim with entourage perform hajj. Because bringing a few supplies, the group then boarded a merchant's house to sleep in a quixotic.
The next day, the host asked Hatim "Is there a need hosting? Because we intend to visit our priest who are sick. "
Hatim said, "visiting the sick a lot of reward, and look at the face of priest is a cult, I'll go with thee."
Together with the merchant, visited the house of Hatim Muhammad ibn Muqatil, a famous religious figure in the land of Ar-Ray. Apparently his home grand, spacious and beautiful. Hatim pensive, he found the priest sleep in a luxurious room, a maid fanning his head. Hatim be seated, but he remained standing.
"Perhaps there is need?" Said the priest
"Well there is a problem I wanted to ask, Where does you acquiring your knowledge?" Said Hatim
"From people who can be trusted, the Companions of the Prophet, the Messenger of Allah, from Jibril, and from Allah."
"Whether from the master teachers, from the Companions of the Prophet, the Messenger of Allah, from Allah, you gets a lesson in order to live well?
whether they are taught that having a big house will exalt us in front of God Almighty? "
"No, they teach us even ascetic, Everlasting love, care for poor people with that, people get a high position in Front of God"
"If so who your teacher? The Prophet, the Companions, the pious or the pharaohs and Namrud who built the building with marble? "

Reportedly ill ibn Muqatil worse. Ar-Ray Population uproar, they came Hatim "there are more luxurious priest ibn al-Thanafisi Muqatil his name, he lived in Qawzin give him a warning."

Hatim came to Qawzin, he asks taught how is wudlu 'which is true.
"Mr. priest, I will wudlu 'in front of the master, fix me if I am wrong"
Hatim beg politely, he then took the water, wash his face and washed his hands four times.
"Hey why do you exaggerate? You wash your hands four times "says Al-Thanafisi
"Subhanallah" Hatim said, "water trail you deem excessive, now compare all the luxuries that you had with examples of the Messenger of Allah?
Is this not redundant? "
Al-Thanafisi not answered. Reportedly because of embarrassment, he did not leave the house for forty days.

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal hear this news. He came to Hatim and ask for advice. The high priest, founder of the Hanbali school was not shy about asking him "Subhanallah, How smart Hatim" said imam Ahmad with great admiration
Hatim's gone now, his example in their studies and we must maintain the sanctity of himself to imitate. He also appeared as a social control that even the scholars who forgot to fix. He does not hate those people who make a living by lawful. He just was not happy with the people who live lavish, excessive, especially those that live with the title priest. He abuses the scholars who discussed the sensitive wudlu 'but is not sensitive to societal issues. Priest who was furious when he saw heresy scattered in terms of worship but very calm when saw the social and economic inequality in the vicinity. Though priest know that poverty is close to kufr.

No comments:

Post a Comment